Is this your first time moving into a new apartment or home all by yourself? Getting through the first night in your new residence can be difficult if you don’t have the right supplies, and also frustrating if this is your first experience moving.
Instead of having to open every box the night after you arrive to find a toothbrush, essential electronics, or important documents, you can place exactly what you will need in what we call a “first night box.”
What is a first night box?
Essentially, a first night box makes moving into your home, and, of course, surviving your first night, easier. Included in this box should be essentials that you will need to make a smooth transition from your former home to the new one. Plus, as we mentioned above, it will prohibit you from having to open and rummage through tons of boxes when you would rather get a good night’s rest before the real unpacking begins!
Some items you will want to place in your first night box should include:
- Basic hygiene items – toothpaste, shampoo, soap, and a towel. Also, don’t forget a first aid kit and to pack any medication you are required to take.
- Electronics such as a phone charger and/or laptop if you plan on using it.
- Snacks and disposable tableware – consider packing protein-rich snacks, a couple bottles of water, and some disposable plates and silverware.
- Clothing and bedding – Pack what you will wear to bed your first night and the next day, as well a pillow and some blankets so you can sleep comfortably.
- Important documents and valuables – It’s a good idea to keep items such as your birth certificate, passport, jewelry and/or other important items you can’t stand to lose with you, and not amongst your other belongings.
Here at UMEX Moving & Storage, we have years of experience working as residential and commercial movers in NJ, PA, as well as other surrounding areas, and know more than enough about what you will need to survive the first night in your new home. To learn more about our company, to have our long distance movers help you move to and from Manhattan or another city, please feel free to contact us at any time.