As a NJ moving company, we know that out of all the rooms in your home, packing up your garage may prove to be the most difficult. After all, a garage is often a place where homeowners store hazardous, miscellaneous, or old, long-forgotten items. Even if you’ve been keeping your garage clean, there’s still some hard work you’ll need to put in when it comes time to get packing. To make packing up your garage easier, here are some tips you can consider:
- Sort it out – If you’ve been using your garage to store other items besides yard equipment and tools, figuring out what’s in there before you sit down and pack will make things easier. This is also the perfect time for you to think about what you need/want to take to your new home, and what you don’t.
- Decide if you want to sell or toss items – After you sort your items, the next thing to decide is if you want to sell or toss them in the garbage. Any items you want to throw away should be gone before you move, and if you want to have a garage sale, you should also have a backup plan if there’s anything leftover.
- Obtain or purchase some very sturdy cardboard boxes – Many items in your garage are likely very heavy, so it’s important for you to have enough sturdy boxes to store them safely.
- Don’t forget the bubble wrap – While there likely aren’t many items stored in your garage that will break, it’s still necessary to use it in some instances. For example, if you have a new tool that you’re afraid might break, using bubble wrap will help to avoid accidental breakage or damage.
- Begin packing by starting with the tools – Before you pack anything else, pack up the tools you’ll be taking to your new home. This is important because the chances or that you may need some of them to assemble furniture, hang pictures, etc. Lastly, make sure your “tool” boxes are clearly labeled.
These are just a handful of tips that you can consider when packing your garage for the big move. To learn more about how to pack your garage safely, or our moving and storage services in NJ, please browse our site, or give us a call.